Sunday, May 1, 2011

11th LIFE DRAWING Post

For my eleventh Life Drawing Wall post I will be talking about skulls and facial features.  Once again I will be talking about my fascination and obsession with comic books.  Lots of the comic books and novels I have seen are full of facial expressions.  Although they may not be realistic, they are extremely easy to read.  Many facial features are accentuated in almost all comic books; this helps to portray people without having to get down every detail of an individual’s face.  I think that being able to identify certain features of an individual’s face is very important in being able to draw that person.  I like to draw caricatures of people I know sometimes, and I always map out the distinguishable features that gives that person their individual look.  Cartoons have been a big part of drawing faces for me as well.  Both kid cartoons and more adult humor cartoons have helped me.  I like to use cartoons as references because almost all cartoons have guest stars.  These guest stars are caricaturized and it becomes easy to see a movie star as a cartoon and then look at a real photo of that same movie star and compare the two.  Arnold Schwartzenegger was my first famous person caricature that I’ve drawn.  It was easy to find his features because he has squinty eyes, large brow, large gapped teeth and huge bulking muscles.  I have a hard time trying to draw details of faces.  I feel like I have a pretty good sense of getting the basic features of a face but when it comes to laying down some details I have difficulty getting exact features.  I would really like to continue drawing faces and familiar people because it is something I would like to work on and it is something I enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. Eyes still get the best of me.. the plane right below the eye that leads into the cheekbone throws me every time. I'm never quite sure how to draw it with contours since it technically rounds out, a little in, then over the cheekbone and there really isn't a set way to draw it because everyone has such unique facial features. Just something that you have to practice I guess! ps. if that photo is from your sketchbook, i'm majorly impressed. I wish i had more time to sit and practice specific pieces.

    ReplyDelete