Sunday, April 17, 2011

POST NUMBER 10!! LIFE DRAWING!


During this past week of Life Drawing we moved from working on the anatomy of the arms to the end of the arms, the hands.  On Thursday I left class early but, we started drawing hands up close using the multiple models we had in class that day.  One thing that really helped me out when drawing the hands was to imagine that there was a mitten covering the hand first.  So then I would draw a mitten, and then fill in the plain structure.  The next step I do is to start marking out where the knuckle lines/plains are, when I do this it is a lot easier to map out the body of the hand.  The hardest part for me is being able to get the main look of the fingers into my drawing.  No matter how many times I correct my drawings I always end up with an almost unfinished and unrealistic drawing of a hand.  Even though the finished product looks like a hand, it still has an ‘unhand-like’ feel to it.  I’m still not into a groove of drawing just hands.  I looked at a bunch of my sketches from high school and even from my sketchbook this year and all the hands I draw are holding some kind of item.  On Thursday our model was holding a pencil in her hand but her hand wasn’t gripping the pencil at all.  It was as if the hand was just limp and someone had taken a pencil and rested it or glued it to the inside of the finger and thumb.  Another piece of the hand I really want to work on is the fatty tissue on the bottom of the fingers and thumb.  I have a hard time with the folding and bending on the bottom of the fingers.  I also haven’t realized that I’ve been drawing the first line of knuckles in the wrong place.  I have always left out the webbing of the fingers and now that I have started adjusting this to my drawings they have taken a big leap towards something more life-like.

1 comment:

  1. hands are so challenging.. trying to envision top and side plains on a relatively round form is frustrating. I also use the "mitten" technique. in fact, in most of my long drawings you can see that i rarely sketch out the hands.. i'll just draw a quick "mitten".

    ReplyDelete