Sunday, April 3, 2011

8th POST LIFE DRAWING


I liked this past week of drawing because we have begun to work on the arm muscles.  Through out high school sports, our teams had a fitness trainer who would always show everyone a diagram of the arms.  He always told us about most men having the obsession of working on their biceps and girls working on their triceps to get rid of the flabby wing part on their arms.  We learned the different parts of the arm muscles and this is something I am used to, more so than the torso and hip muscles.  I always remember when I would read any kind of comic books and almost every character, villain or hero, had massive arms that showed every muscles and vein in vivid detail.  I was never sure if most of these illustrations were accurate because there were so many bulges and bumps.  Especially in newer illustrations of the Incredible Hulk, there seems to be endless bumps, ripples, and bulges that make up the muscles.  If these were accurate drawings, they would be extremely helpful because I can see the muscles clearly and they are even enlarged.  I think that the hardest part of drawing the arms would be trying to locate the correct muscles and groves if the arm is to bulky or fatty.  Another situation I have with drawing arms is that I have trouble making the hands the correct size.  In most, if not all of my sketches, I find myself making hands too big in comparison with the arms and rest of the body.  But this is a reoccurring problem I have with drawing figures.  I usually tend to make things too big, too small, too thin or too thick.  This may be due to the fact that most of my past inspiration is comic book illustrations.

1 comment:

  1. I have proportion problems as well, but it's usually with the skull. I'll end up with a proportional body and then this huge alien head on my figures. It might be interesting for you to take more of a comic book approach with some of your drawings!

    ReplyDelete