Sunday, February 27, 2011

5th week of Life Drawing



HIPS HIPS HIPS! This week of Life Drawing was mostly about discovering and learning about hips (for me anyways).  Looking at earlier drawings that I have done when I was younger I noticed that I was completely wrong when I would locate the hipbones on my figure drawings.  My hips were much lower in my older sketches.  After finding that the “wings” of the hips are much higher than I thought, my drawings have taken a more realistic and proportional form.  Also learning the shape of the hips from the front, back, and sides has also improved the proportion and figure of my drawings.  I also have caught myself up on my model.  Since I was absent all last week I was a little bit behind on my model but was able to get up to speed without any confusion on muscles placement and proportion (which is good news).   I feel like my drawings are gradually becoming lighter, which is good for me because multiple teachers have told me that I am quite heavy handed.  So drawing/sketching lighter is most definitely a positive change for me.  I have noticed that my perspective as become more and more real and in better proportion in comparison to my older figure drawings.  Although depicting which angle arms and legs are coming from is in need of a little more work and practice.  The longer drawings are also kind of frustrating because one-minute drawings are much quicker and much easier to over see small mistakes.  The one-hour drawings are more frustrating because I have time to point out and fix mistakes in the drawing, rather than just drawing for a quick 30 seconds and ignore mistakes because I simply would not have any time to go back and fix them.

1 comment:

  1. I still have a difficult time with the pelvis and locating the pelvic crests.. somehow I always morph my figures into these elongated skinny stick people.. it's sad really. I've looked at your drawings a couple times in class and they look great! keep up the good work. The long drawings will get easier and I think you'll like them better after a little while.. I did anyways :)

    ReplyDelete