Sunday, February 20, 2011

3rd-4th week of class

Well since I was gone over the last week I figured I would get into details about my third week of Life Drawing and talk about my absence (which still involves art).  The clay models are becoming more fun and ‘do-able’.  I almost like working on them, although I have begun talking to my manikin on a regular basis.  I am starting to believe it’s kind of cool and almost fun to see how each individual muscle creates types of movements.  While I was absent this past week, I was at a Funeral so I had the opportunity to hangout with my cousin, Dirk, who is two years older than me and is an illustration major at University of Minnesota Moorhead.  My cousin and I have always drawn pictures together when we were little, although he has always been better than me.  His drawings are amazingly detailed; most of his drawings are like looking at comic book pages that were redone in pencil or a ‘bic’ pen.  Dirk showed me some of his sketches and his sketchbook; they were full of quick figure sketches of people he sees in the Fargo/Moorhead area.  The sketches just looked like scribbles on a piece of paper but they were in perfect proportion and he was able to portray the person’s emotion through the figure without details. My cousin drew a few characters from a graphic novel he is making for his senior project.  Seeing his drawings always inspire me to sketch and draw everyday (even though I don’t).  He’s not a famous artist but I’ve always admired and looked up to my cousin for his ability to draw and his creative way of portraying characters he makes.  But I would have to say that comic books have been a major inspiration in both of our styles and drawing techniques.

1 comment:

  1. Talking to your maniken is completely normal, i think anyways. I even named mine last semester, sad, but true story. I would definitely take inspiration from your cousin! I would love to be able to do quick sketches in perfect proportion!

    ReplyDelete