Sunday, February 6, 2011

2nd FullWeekOfClass



The second week of class has been very eye opening to my view of the human body.  First off, I would like to say how scared and excited I am to be working on a clay model as part of class.  Cleaning off the clay from the previous classes models was frustrating because of the small space and crevices of the skeleton model.  I will definitely be purchasing some type of tools for clay.  I think that in my case the clay tools will not only come in handy but will be necessary because I’ve been none to have clumsy hands and I would like to have a somewhat detailed muscle model.  I am scared to have the model because it sounds like a number of our drawings may be dependant on our own models.  If my model looks off or not proportioned then my drawing will probably reflect my clay modeling skills.  So far having the live model to view has been different.  I have never used a life model as a reference to draw from because I have never thought it was necessary but just from the few times we’ve had a model in class my insight to the human anatomy has already be improved.  Many of my thoughts about the map of the human body have been questioned and/or completely changed due to the model.  For example I feel like I have never seen hips, lower chest and lower abs of a human being before having this class.  All of the poses have shown me how a person is stiff and flexible according to which part of the body is being used.  The backbone has become particularly difficult to trace in good scale and proportion.  But I believe both the clay and live model will help me become a more realistic artist in general. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam, The manikens are definitely intimidating, but dont let them get the best of you! i would absolutely recommend investing in some tools for the clay and heres a tip-roll it around in your hands for a couple minutes, it'll be easier to smooth the muscles out. Dont be too concerned about comparing the maniken to the live model either! the manikens are really great for increasing your understanding of the composition of our models, but everyone's bodies are different and certain muscles are more understated/overstated on certain people. The manikens are definitely based off of an idealized human. :) hope this week of class goes well for ou!

    ReplyDelete